Member Policies & Proceduresbecome a member
”The event was perfect, the food was perfect ...
it was a huge success.”
— Ms. Morgan D. Ortagus
U.S. Dept. of The Treasury
it’s all here (click art to learn more)
q & a
sunday & monday
outside the box
long term stays
late nite dining
boys/girls night out
Lifetime Membership Benefits
All yearly benefits, plus:
- $10 off Sunday champagne brunch and sunday high-tea service
- Free admission and ½ price drinks at Monday Happy Hours
Yearly Membership Benefits
- free event space (3 1/2 hours of “space” up to 60 people — to accommodate your size dining group, based on availability)
- 50% off SRO concerts
- 30% discount on all hotel rooms, based on availability
- 20% discount on facility and equipment rentals for corporate retreats
- 20% discount on wine cellar rental
- 10% off holiday events
- $5 discount per person on Sunday champagne brunch and Sunday high-tea service
- ½ price drinks at Monday Happy Hours
- amnesia dinners
- anonymity & privacy
- custom events with complimentary event planner
- hotel room upgrades (based on availability) at no additional charge
- library loan program (music & books)
- membership is transferable
- no minimum monthly food & beverage charge
- private meals, private bar, and late night dining 24/7 based on availability (must have written notice at least 48 hrs. in advance)
- special birthday & anniversary gifts for you, your family and friends (when you dine with us)
- weekly events (five on Sunday, one on Monday)
- yearly complimentary interior design and/or art consultation
Do you know someone just like you? Ask them if they would like to be a member if they join you will receive 10% off your renewal fees for next year!
Member Policies & Procedures
the mansion was created because we felt the ideals of our generation needed to be refocused and uplifted, and out of an unusual space, with changing music and art, good things would happen. and it has. Our member are part of a unique blessed family, where privacy, freedom and trust is paramount.
A favorite gathering spot for members, their friends, families and guests, The Mansion offers daily breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, cocktails and dinner, as well as late night dining for members only, with written notice, to ensure privacy, when needed, for all members.
Nestled in the center of Washington, D.C., only minutes from The White House and Georgetown, The Mansion retains many 19th & 20th century details (like Tiffany stained glass windows), but has all the modern conveniences you can imagine. Filled with antiques and blended with state of the art technology, The Mansion is one of the most unique and intimate environments in the world. The ballrooms, conference spaces, hotel suites and public rooms combine history, art and architecture to craft an exhilarating experience perfect for entertaining friends, family and clients.
The Mansion is a way of life. It’s where CEOs inspire their employees. It’s where business associates and friends meet for drinks. It’s where artists and authors find their Muse. It’s where families gather for Sunday brunch. And it’s where the music plays on, beyond forever.
We have entertained dignitaries, scholars and music, movie and sports legends -- let us entertain you.
No request too large, no detail too small
to join, please complete our membership application and include your initiation fee. allow up to two weeks to process your application (timing depends on nominating committee meetings). once the application is processed, you will receive an email with your membership acceptance letter and benefits package. membership is transferrable. for detailed membership policies and procedures, read the tabs below.
Live Heaven, Live Life, at The Mansion.
- private access to The Mansion for entertaining is available to members in good standing and their guests. We require that you give us written notice at least 48 hours in advance so we may check availability. This helps us to respect the privacy of ALL of our members; after all, you wouldn't want other members milling around your private event.
- Library Loans
- books at The Mansion are for members to enjoy. If you would like to take books and cds to enjoy feel free, all we ask is that you bring it back when you are finished so others can enjoy it too.
- Non-Refundable, Non-Transferable Deposits
- All private event reservations require non-refundable, non-transferable deposits.
- On street parking in proximity to the Mansion is extremely limited.
All events must use our valet service. Valet parking is not available after your event. Parking garages are locked until 8:00 a.m.
for valet pricing see other potential charges on our pricing page.
Double parking in front of the house, whether by private vehicle or limo, is strictly prohibited. Should double-parking occur, a member of the HHL staff will request the driver to move the vehicle immediately and will request police assistance, if needed. A $750 mandatory fee, for which you are responsible, will be assessed for bus, van and limo violations
- All reservations must be made on-line through The Mansion’s website at least 48 hours in advance.
- everything at The Mansion is for sale. If you see something you would like to keep simply purchase it for the designated price. If you do not have the cash today let us know you would like to take it for purchase later.
If you would like to use The Mansion for private dining or a tour with friends we require that you give us written notice at least 48 hours in advance so we may check availability. This helps us to respect the privacy of ALL of our members; after all, you wouldn't want other members milling around your private event.
All event requests and reservations must be made on-line and remember to check the member box on your forms, so your benefits are rewarded.
- events for 12 guests or more
- To book your space for parties larger than 12 people please fill out our event request form.
- events for 12 guests or less
- Planning an intimate evening with colleagues, friends or family? Please use fill out our member event form for 12 guests or less.
- weekly events
- to attend any of our fabulous weekly events make your reservation on-line:
- Arrival & Departure
- Events are scheduled for 3 1/2 hours for a corporate or personal event without an exclusive; with an exclusive for 5 hours and for a retreat eight hours. If the event runs past this allotted time – and you are welcome to stay as long as you want, there is an overtime charge per hour or portion thereof. If you go into overtime drinks will be served on a cash bar basis (guests pay) or a consumption basis (you pay). Your guests will be allowed to tour The Mansion (and go shopping) for the first 45 minutes of our event, at no additional cost. Room assignments and table set-up arrangements and preferences will be taken into consideration, but no guaranteed, as this will depend on your final head count. As this is a historical and residential neighborhood, D.C. law prohibits guests to give you a “send-off” in the front or back of the Mansion, or use our large garden and pool area before, during, or after your event. If you or any of your guests violate our arrival and departure requirements, you will be charged a $750 penalty, per occurrence. These rules are critical for us to maintain our license.
- Audio Visual Equipment
- If you require audio and/or visual equipment, arrangements must be made in writing, at least five days prior to your event. Only Mansion in-house AV equipment may be used for Mansion functions. You can use your own computer. the fee structure for AV equipment is provided in the pricing section on our website. you are required to test your presentation 24 hours in advance, as each computer is programmed differently. Failure to do so will result in a $100 surcharge. In addition, the mansion will not be held responsible for technology glitches if you do not do this.
Pricing for bar/beverage packages are on our pricing web page. If you bring in your own wine, there is a $20/bottle corkage fee, and any leftovers are left at The Mansion.
Beverage deliveries must come the day of your event, chilled. If they come earlier there is a $100/day storage charge.
Alcohol Service Management/Policy
Alcohol is served at many Mansion events. Our staff is trained in responsible alcohol service management.
- To purchase alcoholic beverages, a guest must present identification which indicates the guest to be at least 21 years of age
- Any guest in the possession of alcoholic beverages on premises may be requested to produce identification, which must satisfy the foregoing requirements. No refunds will be offered for confiscated alcoholic beverages.
- Any guest who presents false identification or who passes alcohol to a minor may be subject to eviction and arrest.
- We will not serve more than two alcoholic beverages to a guest at one time and we reserve the right to limit service to one drink per guest.
- Our alcohol service will end at least one-half hour prior to the scheduled end of an event. We reserve the right to discontinue the sale of alcohol at any time.
- We will not serve any guest whom we believe to be intoxicated.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be taken into or removed from these premises.
- Shooters are not available unless the super premium bar package has been purchased.
- Guests may not bring in or add red bull and/or other energy or enhancement drinks/substances to any beverages at the Mansion.
- Guests may not drink alcohol anywhere outside the premises of The Mansion this includes streets, balconies, stairs, stairwells, yard, parking areas etc. Violation could result in arrest as it is against DC law.
- Cancellation Insurance
- You may wish to protect your non-refundable, non-transferable deposit by purchasing “Event Cancellation Insurance Coverage”. This coverage is available through your insurance agent, or, if you prefer, we can refer you to our agent, Brent Polkes, of Polkes & Goldberg. 301.442.6387 (m).
- Celebration Cake
Our pastry chef is rated in the top ten in the country. Any specialty cake must be ordered in advance, in writing. There is a per person cake-cutting fee.
- As this is a historical and residential neighborhood D.C. Law prohibits outside decorations or signage. Any and all decorations inside The Mansion must be requested and approved in writing. No tape of any kind, wire, nails, screws or other fasteners may be used in decorating The Mansion for an event. Ribbons must be used to attach any decoration used. No rice or rice substitutes (confetti, flower petals, bird seed…) are allowed to be thrown inside or outside The Mansion. All flowers brought in – whether your florist provides them or The Mansion provides them – must remain on the premises after your event. You can make arrangements the next day to pick them up, if you want!
- Event Equipment
- There is no charge to use house tables, tablecloths, china, Lucite glasses and flatware to accommodate your exact headcount. Napkins, glassware, specialty linens, white chairs, gold chairs with cushion seats, special china, silverware, and additional tables (such as cake table, disc jockey table, sign-in tables, etc.) are available at additional cost(s) and must be ordered in writing, at least 5 days prior to event through catering manager. orders cancelled less than 48 hours from start of function are subject to 35% cancellation fee. Orders cancelled less than 24 hours are paid in full. For a comprehensive list and pricing for equipment see the pricing section on our website.
- Food and Beverage
- Guests may not bring food and/or beverage items into the Mansion at any time. Guests must dispose of the unauthorized items prior to entrance into the Mansion. We will not check-in or store any food or beverage items. Guests with specific/special dietary needs due to medical conditions or religious requirements should contact the Mansion via email prior to the event at .
- Guest Arrivals and “Auto Add Time” Costs
Weddings: You are permitted to have up to 6 (six) bridal party members of the wedding party arrive ½ hour prior to your event. No other non-hotel guests may arrive prior to the event start time without overtime charges. Please arrange for your (hair/make-up/ photographer/wedding planner) to reach you by cell phone if they are arriving early as you will be required to let them in and guide them to your room. It is your responsibility to properly inform your guests about arrival times to avoid automatic overtime charges.
Other events: You are permitted to have up to 2 (two) members of your group arrive ½ hour prior to your event. No other non-hotel guests may arrive prior to the event start time without overtime charges. It is your responsibility to properly inform your guests about arrival times to avoid automatic overtime charges.
- Guest Code of Conduct
The Mansion is committed to enhancing safety and creating an enjoyable experience for everyone. The following guidelines have been set in order to meet this goal:
- Guests will enjoy the event experience free from disruptive behavior, including foul or abusive language and obscene gestures.
- Guests will consume alcoholic beverages in a responsible manner. Intervention with an impaired, intoxicated or underage guest will be handled in a prompt and safe manner.
- Guests who engage in rude, lewd or abusive behavior will be immediately evicted from the Mansion and will not be allowed re-entry.
- Guests will comply with requests from the Mansion staff regarding operations and emergency response procedures.
- There is no exit and re-entry.
- Guest Count
Your guaranteed guest count must be received 5 business days prior to your event. That head count can go up, just not down after that date,up until the day before, by 3p.m. . If your final guest count is not received by 5 business days prior, your original estimated head count in your event request form is binding. If your head count goes up after 3 p.m. the day before your event, there is a 20% surcharge for additional guests, plus their food and beverage costs. A Mansion employee will count people as they arrive. If more people are in attendance you will be charged for each additional guest, plus 30% on your food and beverage costs.
- We offer special non-profit, government and group rates, so please inquire. Check-In is 3 pm., check-out is 11 am. Only two people are allowed in each room. Because of the exclusivity of The Mansion, we require a one-night non-refundable, non-transferable deposit to reserve each room. Members and their guests receive a 30% discount on these prices.
- House Cleaning Fee
- The Mansion has a mandatory house-cleaning fees. Please see our pricing section for complete schedule of fees.
- In the event HHL is prevented from providing The Mansion on the date designated or from otherwise performing under the Agreement for any reason beyond its control, including but not limited to labor disputes, strikes, picketing, accidents, death, natural disaster, construction, power failures, Acts of God, actions, restrictions or decrees of governmental or quasi-governmental bodies (including the District of Columbia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board), HHL may cancel this agreement by written notice to the client. In such event, HHL shall not be liable for direct, indirect consequential or other damages or breach of contract, warranty or otherwise. If this Agreement is so canceled, the client shall receive a full refund on all deposits and other amounts paid for. However, HHL will make every good faith effort to relocate the event to a suitable location for the client.
- Intoxicated Guests
- The Mansion reserves the right to deny entry to intoxicated guests. Any intoxicated guests causing a disturbance during an event will be asked to leave the facility and may be subject to arrest.
- Liability Insurance — Non-Ticketed Events
- Client shall obtain general liability insurance from an insurance carrier licensed and approved to conduct business in the District of Columbia for your event at the Mansion. This insurance shall afford coverage per occurrence, with limits of $1,000,000 per occurrence; $2,000,000 aggregate, naming all of the following entities as additional insured: H.H. Leonards, H.H. Leonards Trust, 2020 O Street Corporation, O Street Museum Foundation, Potomac Fund LLC, The Mansion on O Street, O Street Museum Foundation, and H.H. Leonards Associates, Inc. HHL and the Mansion do not cover you if suit is brought against you, or any damage done by your guests. You must contact your insurance agent to be sure you are adequately covered and provide us with a copy of your binder prior to your event. This certificate is required at least ten days prior to the scheduled event.
- Liability Insurance — Ticketed Events
- Client shall obtain business general liability insurance and business liquor liability insurance from an insurance carrier licensed and approved to conduct business in the District of Columbia for your event at the Mansion. This insurance shall afford coverage per occurrence, with limits of $1,000,000 per occurrence; $2,000,000 aggregate, naming all of the following entities as additional insured: H.H. Leonards, H.H. Leonards Trust, 2020 O Street Corporation, O Street Museum Foundation, Potomac Fund LLC, The Mansion on O Street, O Street Museum Foundation, and H.H. Leonards Associates, Inc. HHL and the Mansion do not cover you if suit is brought against you, or any damage done by your guests. You must contact your insurance agent to be sure you are adequately covered and provide us with a copy of your binder prior to your event. This certificate is required at least ten days prior to the scheduled event.
- Lost and Found
- The Mansion assumes no responsibility for items lost at events. All lost and found items are taken to the event supervisor during events. Guests should contact the event supervisor during the event to inquire about lost items. After the conclusion of an event, guests may contact the Mansion’s lost and found at to inquire about lost items.
- Menu Selections
- Menu selections must be received 15 business days prior to your event; if not received by this date, The Mansion will have the right to make menu selections it deems appropriate for your event. Please note that all food must be ordered through The Mansion. Food may not be brought in. Kosher food is allowed to be brought in from outside caterers with prior, written approval. With this, other costs may apply.
- For individual fees regarding entertainment visit our entertainment pricing section. If you contract with a music company independently of HHL and The Mansion they must coordinate directly with The Mansion and HHL – and plan a scheduled site visit -- to assure they know to enter and exit through the back garage entrance PRIOR to your event. Set ups for the entertainment must occur at least 4 hours before your event begins. All entertainment equipment must enter through the rear of The Mansion, never the front. Your entertainers must come dressed to perform. There are no changing rooms available on the premises. If you need a changing room, you must rent a hotel room. There is a fine of $750/occurance you are liable for if any of these rules are broken, so make sure you have written these rules into your contract with your entertainment provider. If the entertainment eats with your guest they are counted in your per person cost. Please write into the contract in the comment section if your entertainment is part of your head count. If not, during all breaks they will be asked to go downstairs to the staff kitchen.
- Non-Refundable, Non-Transferable Deposits
- You will pay a non-refundable, non-transferable deposit to secure a date and time for your event (the "Save the Date Deposit"). Food selection must be made 15 business days of your event, when 95% of your estimated balance is due, including beverages. This estimated balance is non-refundable, and non-transferable. Each day there is a delay on signing the BEO and invoice, and making your 95% deposit, there is a 1% finance charge on the total invoice due. Final balance is due the day of your event. If for any reason you need to cancel your event and you do so at least fifteen (15) days prior to the date of your event, you may apply the Events Cost Deposit (but not the Save the Date Deposit) toward a rescheduled event (subject to time and date availability) so long as it is held within six months of your originally scheduled event date. A finance charge of 1.5% per month (18% annual percentage rate) will be charged on overdue accounts. If H.H. Leonards Associates is required to take legal action to collect an outstanding balance on your account, you agree to pay all collection costs (including attorneys' fees). Any change to the contract not approved in writing by HHL will NOT be honored.
- No Re-Entry During Events
- The Mansion has a no re-entry policy during events. Guests who leave during an event will NOT be permitted re-entry under any circumstance.
- Overdue Accounts
- A finance charge of 1.5% per month (18% per annum) will be charged on overdue accounts. Should your balance become overdue, you shall be liable for all costs, including reasonable attorney’s fees, which may be incurred by H.H. Leonards Associates, trading as The Mansion on O Street in collecting the outstanding balance on your account.
- On street parking in proximity to the Mansion is extremely limited and it is our policy to insure, to the fullest extent possible, that it is available for neighborhood residents. Therefore, you must use our valet parking service at The Mansion. These services must be arranged and priced with the HHL Catering Manager prior to the event. They can be charged directly to your guest or we can add these costs to your invoice. Double parking in front of the house, whether by private vehicle or limo, is strictly prohibited. Should double-parking occur, a member of the HHL staff will request the driver to move the vehicle immediately and will request police assistance, if needed. A $750.00 mandatory fee, for which you are responsible, will be assessed for bus, van and limo violations.
- Photographs outside the front and back of the Mansion are strictly prohibited. You will be charged a $750 penalty, per occurrence. Guests not attending your event must never be photographed unless permission has been granted in writing. Photos of the interior of The Mansion are permitted.
- Prohibited Items
ALL ITEMS brought into the Mansion are subject to inspection. For safety reasons the following list of items are not permitted:
- Food or beverages
- Laser pointers or similar items
- Alcoholic beverages, drugs or other illegal substances
- No Re-Entry/No Pass Outs
- All reservations must be made on-line through The Mansion’s website: Events for 12 or more, Events for 12 or Less, Public Events
- Room Assignments
- Room assignments and table set-up arrangements and preference will be taken into consideration, but not guaranteed, as this will depend on your final head count. There are sofas and chairs available for rent.
- Service Fee
- The Mansion service/event fee is 20%, which includes labor, set-up and preparation services. The Service Fee is not a gratuity. Gratuity is at the discretion of the client and may reflect the quality of service for your event.
- Space Allotments
- The Mansion is rented out at an allotted length of three (3) hours, with a half hour “grace” to accommodate your size dining group, based on availability. If your event runs over this allotted time period – and you are welcome to stay as long as you want — additional time will be billed by the hour based on rooms used and time needed. Room assignments, table set-up arrangements and preferences will be taken into consideration, but not guaranteed. See event pricing for space rental fees.
- when storing items at the mansion, storage fees apply. for current storage rates, see other potential charges on our pricing page
- Taxes and Service Fee
- Tax on flowers, items purchased, telephone usage and equipment is 6%; food & beverage tax is 10%; hotel tax is 14.5%; and parking tax 18%. If you are exempt, provide a copy of your certificate prior to your event.
- Technical Support and Labor Fees
- The Mansion provides technical support and labor for AV Equipment, visit our pricing page for costs. No outside technical support is permitted without written authorization. Equipment orders cancelled less than 48 hours from start of function are subject to 85% cancellation fee. Orders cancelled less than 24 hours are charged full price.
- Touring The Mansion
- Your guests will be allowed to tour The Mansion (and go shopping) at sometime during your retreat, and if you want a staff person to talk about the history and/or mission of The Mansion; simply tell us and we will make arrangements for this.
- Transferring your membership
- Your membership is transferable.
Print Name: _________________________________________________ Date:
Signature: __________________________________________________ Date:
- Only two guests are allowed in each room. Room preferences will be noted, but are not guaranteed. See hotel pricing for Accommodation descriptions and pricing.
- Check-in is at 3 pm., check-out is 11 am eastern standard time. fees will be applied for early or late check-ins. See hotel pricing for fees.
- Members and their guests receive a 20% discount on all regular room rates, based on availability. Members must check member box on reservation form to receive discount. See the member benefits for more information
- Hotel guests use the red door on the lower Level, street entrance, labeled "inn downstairs".
- Non-Refundable, Non-Transferable Deposits
- A one-night non-refundable, non-transferable deposit for each room will be charged at time of reservation.
- All reservations must be made on-line.
- Special Requests
- All special requests (morning newspapers and flowers to meeting rooms, limousines, favorite drinks etc.) should be indicated on your reservation form. If there is something you forgot to add please contact us in advance of your visit.
- We are part of the solution, project planet. We strive to have a long-lasting, positive influence on the world around us, the community we live in, and those who visit. For 30 years we have engaged in sustainable practices that conserve natural resources and reduce our impact on the environment including decreasing energy use (there are no hair dryers in our hotel rooms) and deploying reuse programs.
- each applicant must submit a membership application and essay on-line through The Mansion’s website. Applications take up to two weeks depending on nominating committee meetings. Once the application is processed, you will receive an email with your membership acceptance letter and benefits package.
- membership is open to those aged over 21.
- Guest Sponsorship
- you may extend your Mansion membership for special occasions to your family, friends and colleagues by sponsoring their event — simply send your request to .
- Rates and Dues
- new members to The Mansion pay a one-time initiation fee due with your membership application for consideration. Initiation fees are $1,000 for an individual and $1,500 for a partner and/or couple. Upon completion of your first year as a member annual renewal fees will be incurred at the following rates: individual: $500 partner and/or couple: $750. If membership dues lapse beyond 2 years you will be required to re-apply for membership.
- Non-Refundable, Non-Transferable Deposits
- all memberships are non-refundable, non-transferable.
- You must be a member in good standing to host a private event at The Mansion. Events and private access to The Mansion for entertaining is available to members in good standing and their guests.